Class of 2023
Class of 2023Carrie Koga & Sandra Nakao
This webpage is your link to ‘Iolani ‘Ohana events and a way for Class of 2023 parents stay connected. Check back often as we will post information regarding ‘Ohana events and activities. We hope your ‘Iolani experience will be as meaningful for you as it is for your child.
We are your Class of 2023 ‘Ohana Representatives for the 2013-14 school year. Please contact us if you have any questions or you would like to get involved. Mahalo for your participation and support!
Please check the class website regularly for important information and monthly calendars.
UPDATED: MARCH 6, 2014
ANNOUNCEMENTS: 1) PARKING FOR SPACE NIGHT, 2) SPRING DANCE SHOWCASE CHAPERONES FOR MAY 2, 3) TEACHER'S MARCH NEWSLETTER
1. Space Night with MarsFest on Friday, March 7, and Space Camp Overnight to Saturday, March 8
- FLYERS - The 3rd and last set of Space Night Flyers came home via backpack on Thursday, 2/17! This includes the map of activities, junior space camp activities, final instructions, timeline, volunteer assignments, and camping reminders (also attached below).
PILLOWCASES - Space Camp pillowcases were distributed via backpack last Friday. Please label and bring for Space Camp!
3/5/14 UPDATE ON PARKING - Please note gate closing times FOR BOTH AREAS: Laau and Convention Drive. (No parking in the Kamoku Street parking structure due to other events on campus.)
LAAU PARKING (Gates close at 10:30 p.m. on Friday)
The "cattle" gates will be locked from 10:30 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. If you are not planning to camp overnight, please note to leave the parking on Laau before 10:30 p.m. (No entry/exit after 10:30 p.m., except for emergencies.)
CONVENTION DRIVE PARKING (Gates close at 6:00 p.m on Friday)
Convention Drive parking will be available to us after 4:00 p.m. on Friday, March 7. The gate to Convention Drive will be closed after 6:00 p.m. (No entry to the gate after 6:00 p.m. on Friday. Cars may exit until 10:30 p.m. but please keep noise to a minimum to avoid disturbing residents on Convention Drive and neighbors.)
- COMPLETE BOTTLE ROCKET PROJECT AT HOME - Two bottles are for the bottle rocket activity, and the Safeway and Pepsi bottles work best for this activity. Please have your child bring in this bottle to Mrs. Warner to test that it fits the rocket launcher, before your child begins making their rocket launcher (instructions are included in the Space Night packet you received). Please have your child make his/her rocket at home and bring to Space Night. Note: For safety purposes, please do not tilt fins or place a sharp tip at the top of the rocket. Thank you!
- BOTTLE FOR CARTESIAN DIVER - Please bring to Space Night a 1-Liter or 2 Liter bottle, filled to the top with water and capped for the Cartesian Diver project that night. The 1-Liter Smart Water brand bottle works best and can be found at 7-Eleven and Safeway. If you have difficulty finding one, just let us know!
WHAT TO BRING FOR SPACE NIGHT:
- BAG, BOTTLE ROCKET, AND CARTESIAN DIVER - Please bring a bag labeled with your child's name to hold his/her bottle rocket and Cartesian Diver.
- FLASHLIGHT - Please bring a flashlight for your use during the activities.
- WARM CLOTHES, SHOES - Suggested attire: class shirt, long pants, jacket, shoes.
SCHEDULE FOR FRIDAY, MARCH 7:
- Eat dinner beforehand. Due to the MarsFest setup, the Student Center will not be available for families to eat dinner.
- 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. - If you are camping, please drop off your camping gear at the lower school autoline. After dropping off your tent and gear, park on either Laau Place or Convention Drive, then go to the camping locations to set up your tent. Camping locations are the One Team Field House and the grassy field between the third grade classrooms and the tennis courts. The Space Camp committee can help you set up your tent during this time. Camping reminders is attached below. Note: tents cannot be staked and no food or drinks are allowed in the One Team Field House.
- 5:30 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. - Sign-in younger siblings at Junior Space Station in Rooms B-110 and B-111.
- 5:45 p.m. - Everyone meets in Student Center for MarsFest!
- 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. - MarsFest Activities in the Student Center
- 8:10 p.m. to 8:40 p.m. - 3-Okino and 3-Shim students will be bottle rocket launching on the football field; 3-Kim and 3-Maeda students remain in the Student Center
- 8:40 p.m. to 9:10 p.m. - 3-Kim and 3-Maeda students will be bottle rocket launching on the football field; 3-Okino and 3-Shim students return to the Student Center
- 9:15 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. - Astronaut snack of saimin and hot cocoa in the Student Center
- 10:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. - Back to tents and get ready for bed
- 10:30 p.m. - Curfew (no talking and lights out)
SCHEDULE FOR SATURDAY, MARCH 8 (CAMPERS):
- 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. - Breakfast in Student Center
- 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. - Pack up, clean, and pick up trash around campus
- 9:00 a.m. - Leave campus by 9:00 a.m.
Thank you so much to teacher lead, Mrs. Kathe Warner; Space Night event chairs, Dawn Hirano and Leah Takeuchi; Space Camp chairs, Karen Huang and Fred Pascua; the third grade teachers; and the many parent volunteers!
2. Spring Dance Showcase Chaperones SIgn-Up by Wednesday, March 12 - Mrs. Lisa Simon is requesting parent chaperones for the Spring Dance Showcase to help backstage, with a close view of the performance from the side of the Blaisdell Concert Hall stage. Chaperones will be needed from 4:45 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Please sign up at http//tinyurl.com/showcasechaperones by Wednesday, March 12. Thank you! And thank you to the parent volunteers, led by Costumes Chair, Mrs. Denise Haga and Dance Teacher, Mrs. Lisa Simon, for all the creative and hard work going into the amazing costumes each student will be wearing!
The show itself begins at 7:00 p.m. Please note rehearsal dates and times at the bottom calendar event listing. More information on ticket sales and DVD orders will be coming.
3. Teacher News - For your convenience, the Third Grade newsletter and calendar for March are copied below from our third grade class website: http://tinyurl.com/grade3news. Also, attached at the bottom is a copy of the third grade handbook, which has helpful information on classroom and homework expectations. Thank you!
4. ‘Iolani Fair Signups - You may sign up for your shift time by clicking HERE!
Our third grade booths are Knock the PIns and Ping Pong Toss. Thank you
so much for volunteering and thank you to our booth chairs, will call
chairs, manpower chairs and booth shadows! Looking forward to a
spectacular "Circus Dreams" Fair!
2014 THIRD GRADE BOOTH CHAIRS:
- Knock the Pins Co-Chairs: Mrs. Sherri Iha and Mrs. Kory Kado-Fukuda
- Ping Pong Toss Co-Chairs: Mr. and Mrs. Brennon and Jeanine Morioka, Mr. and Mrs. Chad and Jennifer Willing
- Will Call Co-Chairs: Mr. and Mrs. Sayle and Lori Hirashima, Mr. and Mrs. Ed and Maya Matsuda
- Manpower Co-Chairs: Mrs. Denise Haga and Mrs. Kristi Kai
2014 BOOTH SHADOWS for FOURTH GRADE BOOTHS in 2015:
- Mini Basketball Co-Shadows: Mr. and Mrs. Curtis and Susan Abe, Mr. and Mrs. Colin and Chris Yoshiyama
- Frog in the Bog Co-Shadows: Mrs. Terri Gushiken, Mr. and Mrs. Roy and Sheryl Kuroda
- Water Race Co-Shadows: Mr. and Mrs. Darren and Sandra Nakao, Mrs. Carrie Koga, Mrs. Karen Wong
REMAINING DATES FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2013-2014
Friday, March 7, 5:45 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. – Space Night (Teacher-in-Charge: Mrs. Kathe Warner, Co-chairs: Mrs. Dawn Hirano and Mrs. Leah Takeuchi, Faculty Liaison: Mrs. Kat Takazawa)
Friday, March 7, 9:30 p.m. - March 8, 9:00 a.m. - Space Camp (Co-chairs: Mrs. Karen Huang, Mr. Fred Pascua)
Friday, March 21 to Sunday, March 30, 2014 - Spring Break
Friday, April 18, 2014 - Good Friday School Holy Day, Campus Closed
Friday, April 25 and Saturday, April 26, 2014, 12 noon to 10:30 p.m. – ‘Iolani Family Fair Circus Dreams
- 3rd Grade Booth - Knock the Pins (Co-chairs: Mrs. Sherri Iha and Mrs. Kory Kado-Fukuda)
- 3rd Grade Booth - Ping Pong Toss (Co-chairs: Mr. and Mrs. Brennon and Jeanine Morioka, Mr. and Mrs. Chad and Jennifer Willing)
- Will Call (Co-chairs: Mr. and Mrs. Sayle and Lori Hirashima, Mr. and Mrs. Ed and Maya Matsuda)
- Manpower (Co-chairs: Mrs. Denise Haga and Mrs. Kristi Kai)
- 4th Grade Booth Shadows - Mini Basketball (Co-chairs: Mr. and Mrs. Curtis and Susan Abe, Mr. and Mrs. Colin and Chris Yoshiyama)
- 4th Grade Booth Shadows - Water Race (Co-chairs: Mr. and Mrs. Darren and Sandra Nakao, Mrs. Carrie Koga, Mrs. Karen Wong)
- 4th Grade Booth Shadows - Frog in the Bog (Co-chairs: Mrs. Terri Gushiken, Mr. and Mrs. Roy and Sheryl Kuroda)
Monday, April 28, 2014 - Head of School's Day School Holiday
Friday, May 2, 7:00 p.m., Blaisdell Concert Hall - Spring Dance Showcase (Teacher-in-Charge: Mrs. Lisa Simon, Costume Chair: Mrs. Denise Haga)
- Tuesday, April 29 2:30 - 3:00 p.m. Rehearsal in Lower School Dance Room, 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. Continue Rehearsal in Upper School Dance Room
- Wednesday, April 30 2:30 - 3:00 p.m. Rehearsal in Lower School Dance Room, 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. Continue Rehearsal in Upper School Dance Room
- Thursday, May 1 2:30 - 3:00 p.m. Rehearsal in Lower School Dance Room, 3:00 - 3:45 p.m. Continue Rehearsal in Upper School Dance Room
- Friday, May 2 4:45 - 6:15 p.m. Pre-performance rehearsal at Neal Blaisdell Concert Hall
Thursday, May 8, 2014, 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., Convention Drive Lawn - Mini Society Parent Day
Monday, May 26, 2014 - Memorial Day School Holiday
Thursday, June 5, 2014, 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. – End of the Year Field Day and Early Dismissal (Teacher-in-Charge: Mrs. Susan Maeda, Co-chairs: Mrs. Jen Moku and Mrs. Cheryl Yamamoto)
THIRD GRADE PILLOWCASE DESIGN