Class of 2023
Class of 2023Carrie Koga & Sandra Nakao
This webpage is your link to ‘Iolani ‘Ohana events and a way for Class of 2023 parents stay connected. Check back often as we will post information regarding ‘Ohana events and activities. We hope your ‘Iolani experience will be as meaningful for you as it is for your child.
We are your Class of 2023 ‘Ohana Representatives for the 2013-14 school year. Please contact us if you have any questions or you would like to get involved. Mahalo for your participation and support!
Please check the class website regularly for important information and monthly calendars.
UPDATED: April 23, 2014
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Fair Highlights for 3rd Grade, Mars Rover Workshop Volunteer Sign-Up, Mini Society Store Days, Spring Dance Showcase Tickets and DVD Ordering
1. ‘Iolani Fair on April 25 and 26, 12 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. - The Fair is just a few weeks away! For information on talent auditions, futsal tournament, and more, click HERE for the Fair E-Newsletter!
Other highlights as follows:
a) Pre-ordered Script Pick-up - Please pick up pre-ordered script by this Thursday, April 24, at the Lower School Main Office, between 7:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
b) Shift Sign-Up - Can be done online by clicking HERE (up to Wednesday, midnight). If you are unable to sign up before Wednesday but can still work a shift, simply visit the Manpower booth about a half hour before your desired shift (open shifts listed below for Plinko).
Manpower check-in before your shift starts will be located on the Track in front of Seto Hall.
2014 THIRD GRADE BOOTH CHAIRS:
- Plinko (formerly Knock the Pins) Co-Chairs: Mrs. Sherri Iha and Mrs. Kory Kado-Fukuda
Plinko Shifts Still Needing Help on Saturday, 4/26:
11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (1 more adult)
5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. (3 more adults)
8:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. (2 more adults)
- Ping Pong Toss Co-Chairs: Mr. and Mrs. Brennon and Jeanine Morioka, Mr. and Mrs. Chad and Jennifer Willing
- Will Call Co-Chairs: Mr. and Mrs. Sayle and Lori Hirashima, Mr. and Mrs. Ed and Maya Matsuda
- Manpower Co-Chairs: Mrs. Denise Haga and Mrs. Kristi Kai
2014 BOOTH SHADOWS for FOURTH GRADE BOOTHS in 2015:
- Mini Basketball Co-Shadows: Mr. and Mrs. Curtis and Susan Abe, Mr. and Mrs. Colin and Chris Yoshiyama
- Frog in the Bog Co-Shadows: Mrs. Terri Gushiken, Mr. and Mrs. Roy and Sheryl Kuroda
- Water Race Co-Shadows: Mr. and Mrs. Darren and Sandra Nakao, Mrs. Carrie Koga, Mrs. Karen Wong
c) Parking and Entrance Information - $5 parking will be available at Kaimuki High School. For more information, click HERE. Free trolley stops will be available, taking you to the main entrance
to the fair, which will be the baseball centerfield gate on Laau Place.
Starting Wednesday, no parking will be available from the tennis court area to the Waikiki end of Laau.
Starting Friday morning, no parking will be available on both Laau and Convention Drive. Parking will be available from 6:30 a.m. at Kaimuki High School if you need to park to pick up your child.
d) After School Pick-Up - Students being picked up at autoline will be dismissed at 11 a.m. Autoline gates will close at 12:30 p.m. Students attending the Fair with you will be dismissed at 11:45 a.m. from the classroom (please pack a lunch/snack for their 11 a.m. lunch time, no school lunch will be served on Friday).
e) E.K. Fernandez Rides - Check out the rides being featured at the Fair this year by clicking HERE. Ride script is to be purchased with Fair script (booths will be next to each other near the Marketplace and Gourmet Tents).
The student engineers have designed their Rovers with a NASA blue print and are ready to build! All Mrs. Warner needs now are helpers! Please click on the following link to indicate which days you can come join in on the fun! Dates still needing help are in red. Thank you so much!
3-Maeda on Mondays, 11:43 a.m. - 12:36 p.m., 4/21, 5/5, 5/12 and 5/19
3-Kim on Wednesdays, 1:08 p.m. - 2:02 p.m., 4/23, 4/30, 5/7 and 5/14
3-Okino on Thursdays, 10:14 a.m. - 11:05 a.m., 4/24, 5/1, 5/8 and 5/15
3-Shim on Tuesdays from 11:43 a.m. - 12:35 p.m., 4/29, 5/6, 5/13 and 5/20
- Wednesday, April 30, 12:10 - 1:00 p.m. (Maeda, Kim)
- Thursday, May 1, 1:15 - 1:45 p.m. (Shim, Okino)
- Thursday, May 8, 12:00 - 1:30 p.m. Parent Day (friends and family members able to shop with earned mini society currency)
- Each child's business is to reflect his/her involvement in the production process, fostering creative ideas and entrepreneurial qualities.
- No commercial games or repackaging of store bought items.
- No live animals.
- The students will be able to grow and change their business over the course of the remaining business days, as debriefing sessions are held.
- Each student can only use a maximum of $30.00 total towards his/her project for all 6 days (earning this at home, for example, through extra chores).
- Encourage creative and innovative use of free resources. Think of how to re-purpose cast off items.
- Parents may act as "paid" consultants by helping students plan, problem solve, or think of ideas for goods they can make with "free" resources. Charge mini bucks for your time!
- Parents may be a "paid" worker by helping supervise (ex. cooking or using tools), driving to get supplies, and delivering to school. Your child should be doing the bulk of the work. Charge mini bucks for your time!
- Parents may be a consumer and spend earned mini bucks on Parent Day (May 8)!
4. Spring Dance Showcase, May 2, 7 p.m., Blaisdell Concert Hall - Purchase your tickets and order your DVD!
Tickets: Now on sale for $7 at Lower School at the Lower School Office, Performing Arts Office, and Upper School Main Office until Friday, May 2. These locations hold office hours from 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Student performers and parent chaperones (4:45 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.) will not need tickets.
- DVD: A DVD recording of the showcase will be available to performers for $22.00, $26.00 for Blu-ray Disc. Video Designs, Inc. will compile footage of the performance using multiple cameras. Showcase DVDs will be ready for pick up at the Lower School Office beginning on Friday, May 30. If you would like to place an order for your family, please fill out the form at http://tinyurl.com/showcaseDVD-Simon and have your child forward the payment to Dance Teacher, Mrs. Lisa Simon, by Tuesday, May 6. Checks may be made payable to `Iolani School.
- Tuesday, April 29 2:30 - 3:00 p.m. Rehearsal in Lower School Dance Room, 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. Continue Rehearsal in Upper School Dance Room
- Wednesday, April 30 2:30 - 3:00 p.m. Rehearsal in Lower School Dance Room, 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. Continue Rehearsal in Upper School Dance Room
- Thursday, May 1 2:30 - 3:00 p.m. Rehearsal in Lower School Dance Room, 3:00 - 3:45 p.m. Continue Rehearsal in Upper School Dance Room
- Friday, May 2 4:45 - 6:15 p.m. Pre-performance rehearsal at Neal Blaisdell Concert Hall
5. Swimming in P.E. once a week will last until May 30:
- Tuesdays for 3-Maeda, 3-Shim, and 3-Okino homerooms
- Wednesdays for 3-Kim homeroom
Please have your son/daughter wear his/her P.E. uniform to school, and have available swimwear and a towel on the appropriate days. Please have your child's name on all belongings. All
swimming will take place in the school pool and there will always be a certified instructor present. Please notify the P.E. office at 943-2235 of any physical/medical problems your child has that might be affected by the swimming activity.
6. Teacher News - For your convenience, the Third Grade newsletter and calendar for April are copied below from our third grade class website: http://tinyurl.com/grade3news. Also, attached at the bottom is a copy of the third grade handbook, which has helpful information on classroom and homework expectations. Thank you!
REMAINING DATES FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2013-2014
Monday, April 21, 2014 - Mars Rover Workshop begins, with each class on different days
Friday, April 25 and Saturday, April 26, 2014, 12 noon to 10:30 p.m. – ‘Iolani Family Fair Circus Dreams
Monday, April 28, 2014 - Head of School's Day School Holiday
Tuesday, April 29, 2:30 - 3:00 p.m. - Spring Dance Showcase Rehearsal in Lower School Dance Room, 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. Continue Rehearsal in Upper School Dance Room
Wednesday, April 30, 2:30 - 3:00 p.m. - Spring Dance Showcase Rehearsal in Lower School Dance Room, 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. Continue Rehearsal in Upper School Dance Room
Thursday, May 1, 2:30 - 3:00 p.m. - Spring Dance Showcase Rehearsal in Lower School Dance Room, and from 3:00 - 3:45 p.m., continue Rehearsal in Upper School Dance Room
Friday, May 2, 4:45 - 6:15 p.m., Blaisdell Concert Hall - Pre-performance rehearsal at Neal Blaisdell Concert Hall. At 7:00 p.m., the Spring Dance Showcase Performance begins (Teacher-in-Charge: Mrs. Lisa Simon, Costume Chair: Mrs. Denise Haga)
Thursday, May 8, 2014, 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., Convention Drive Lawn - Mini Society Parent Day
Monday, May 26, 2014 - Memorial Day School Holiday
Thursday, June 5, 2014, 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. – End of the Year Field Day and Early Dismissal (Teacher-in-Charge: Mrs. Susan Maeda, Co-chairs: Mrs. Jen Moku and Mrs. Cheryl Yamamoto)
THIRD GRADE PILLOWCASE DESIGN