Excellence in the Arts
With 32 groups, putting on 160 shows annually, nearly 950 Upper School students participate in the Performing Arts program. More than 870 Upper School students participate in the Visual Arts program, which has 18 course offerings, including Advancement Placement classes.
Excellence and opportunity are the hallmarks of our visual and performing arts programs, which are committed to providing opportunities for students to pursue their passions.
Here are some highlights of the arts at ‘Iolani School:
- Scholastic Arts Awards in the past five years include: 104 Gold Awards (eight National Gold Awards) and 88 Silver Awards (15 National Silver Awards)
- Stage Band has performed by invitation at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Konan Jazz Festival, Matsukata Music Festival and International Jazz Festival in Ibbenburen, Germany
- The ‘Iolani Dramatic Players traveled to Scotland to perform at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe three different times
- Five National Orchestra Championships in five years
- Orchestra has been invited to perform at the Midwest International Band and Orchestra Conference, and the London Invitational Concert Series
- Masters Classes are regularly held for with guest teachers such as acclaimed violinist Jinjoo Cho, founder of ENCORE Chamber Music, an international summer chamber music festival and institute in Cleveland
- ‘Iolani Dance Team national competition Gold Division winner
Portraits of Students
These students represent the powerful impact the arts at ‘Iolani can make in a person’s lifelong journey. Their stories are told from the heart by those who have known them all of their lives. Enjoy these personal portraits that reflect a family’s commitment to education and ‘Iolani’s legacy of educational excellence.