Excellence in the Arts
With 32 performing arts groups and 160 performances annually, nearly 950 Upper School students participate in the performing arts. More than 870 Upper School students participate in the Visual Arts program, which has 18 course offerings, including Advancement Placement classes. Here are some highlights of the arts at ‘Iolani School:
- Scholastic Arts Awards in the past five years include: 104 Gold Awards (eight National Gold Awards) and 88 Silver Awards (15 National Silver Awards)
- Stage Band has performed by invitation at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Konan Jazz Festival, Matsukata Music Festival and International Jazz Festival in Ibbenburen, Germany.
- The ‘Iolani Dramatic Players traveled to Scotland to perform at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe three different times.
- Five National Orchestra Championships in five years
- Orchestra has been invited to perform at the Midwest International Band and Orchestra Conference, and the London Invitational Concert Series
- Masters Classes are regularly held for with guest teachers such as acclaimed violinist Jinjoo Cho, founder of ENCORE Chamber Music, an international summer chamber music festival and institute in Cleveland
- ‘Iolani Dance Team national competition Gold Division winner
- 17 bands and orchestras
Excellence and opportunity are the hallmarks of our visual and performing arts programs. These videos celebrate ‘Iolani’s excellence in the arts and our commitment to providing students with opportunities for students to pursue their passion.
Music on the video performed by ‘Iolani School’s Orchestra 5 at the 2011 Midwest International Orchestra Conference and Clinic: "Rhythms of Africa" by Soon See Newbold and "Balzene Suite" by György Orbán.
Maya & Orchestra
Dylan & Photography
Erica & Dance
Portraits of Students
These students represent the powerful impact the arts at ‘Iolani can make in a person’s lifelong journey. Their stories are told from the heart by those who have known them all of their lives. Enjoy these personal portraits that reflect a family’s commitment to education and ‘Iolani’s legacy of educational excellence.
Upcoming Student Performances
There is still time this school year to attend an ‘Iolani event and be captivated by the talent of our amazing students. Here's the remaining schedule of events:
Advanced Theatre, Anywhere But Here, Mamiya Theatre, 7 p.m.
Beginning/Intermediate Theatre Showcase, Mamiya Theatre, 7 p.m.
May 4 & 5
Musical Theatre 2, Grease, Mamiya Theatre, 7 p.m.
Lower School, Beginning, Intermediate, and Symphonic Band Concert, Bakken Auditorium, 4 p.m.
Dance Showcase, 4 Doors & Kaulana Na Pua, Blaisdell Concert Hall, 7 p.m.
Chorus and Hokuloa Singers Spring Concert, St. Andrew’s Cathedral, 7:30 p.m.
May 18 & 19
Musical Theatre 1, Willy Wonka Jr., Mamiya Theatre, 7 p.m.
Chamber Music Recital, Seto Hall, 4 p.m.
Lower School Orchestras and Orchestras 1 - 3 Spring Concert, Mamiya Theatre, 2 p.m.
‘Iolani Stage Bands Spring Concert, Hawai‘i Theatre, 4 p.m.
Side-by-Side Pops Orchestra & Band Concert, Seto Hall, 5:30 p.m.
Lower School Theatre and Lower School Musical Theatre, Gaeia’s Greek Gabfest and Xanadu Jr., Mamiya Theatre, 7 p.m.
Together We Fly